I don’t know about yours, but my May Day was pretty awful. Not really, if you put it in perspective with the grand scheme of things, but I was bummed nonetheless. It turns out that when the little things make you happy, the little things also make you very sad. Here’s my May 1st in a nutshell:
- The Samsung Galaxy S4 was due to be released on May 1st. Mine and Hubby-pants’ cell phone contracts were up some time in February. Knowing that the S4 was due out soon, we held out. When we learned of the date, we held out even more. Some unexpected fees hit our bank accounts the morning of May 1st so we had to juggle funds around to make sure we could afford the new phones without disrupting our regular bill schedule. While Hubby-pants did that, I skipped the gym and went through about three dozen bookmarked websites on my current phone, jotting down their web addresses for safe keeping (I often find an article related to publishing or marketing and save it for later). We drove to T-mobile with smiles on our faces only to find that T-mobile didn’t have the S4s in yet. They blamed it on Samsung. Hubby-pants called half a dozen T-mobiles locations. No dice. He called Samsung, turns out it was T-mobile’s fault. We even went to Best Buy. They had them for AT&T, but not for T-mobile.
- Resigned to having to wait a week (at the least) for our shiny new phones, we went home. When we were still dating, Hubby-pants bought me the DVD to Friday Night Lights (the movie, not the TV series). I never watched it, so we decided to watch it that day. I was loving the movie right up until…(I know the movie’s pretty old, but SPOILER ALERT)…they LOST! Who the hell makes a sports movie where the protagonist team LOSES? I was so upset. I know it’s a true story and it’s about being “perfect” in the eyes of your family and teammates because there’s nothing you could have done and you did your best. Blah, blah, blah. They lost.
- Next we watched Men in Black 3 and it was funny here and there, but there was no Tommy Lee Jones. I didn’t know that going in. I didn’t remember the previews. I was disappointed.
- It was time for the Knicks game. My Knicks are finally in the playoffs with a team good enough to get past the first round for the first time in years. They were up on the Celtics three games to none in the series when they lost on Sunday. No big deal. Then they lost again. First the Odessa-Permian Panthers of Friday Night Lights, then my very own basketball team. It was just too much.
- Hubby-pants and I tried to watch a few shows off of our DVR to take my mind off things. That worked out well…until our DVR’ed program ended and the TV switched to the channel it had been on, which was airing TMZ. They were talking about Vera Farmiga, the chick who plays Norma Bates on Bates Motel. I love Bates Motel, so I stopped to give a listen. Then they dropped a spoiler that I won’t even repeat here because you might be like I was…with the most recent episode sitting comfortably on your DVR.
It was at that moment, that I just wanted to cry. Because sometimes, it’s the little things. They can make you happy, or they can completely gang up on you and ruin your day. Which only reminds you that if these are the things bumming you out, your life can’t be half bad. Speaking of not half bad, the next time you stop by here (Wednesday, May 8th), you’ll be treated with my COVER REVEAL for Blood in the Past! Eek!