I recently received a tiny spate of book review requests. I was so excited that fellow authors/artists would even give a fluffy chicken’s rump what I thought about their work. But I quickly realized that there is a proper way to ask for a review, and a not so proper way to ask for a review. Of the three requests I received, one was ideal, which I’ll be focusing on here, contrasting it with the not so ideal requests. So, here are seven guidelines that I think should be adhered to when requesting a review.
- Email me. As opposed to sending me a direct message via my Facebook author page. Lame.
- Address me with my real first name (Ava). As opposed to my pen name (Jordanna).
- Familiarize yourself with me, my reviews, my blog, and my WIP. Treat me like a person, dammit. As opposed to something like, “I don’t know if you review music, but…” Yes, that happened.
- Connect what you’ve learned about me to why you think I’ll like your book. As opposed to claiming your book is listed as a “You may also like…” under the books I’ve already reviewed on Amazon. Especially when that isn’t true.
- Tell me what your novel is about. As opposed to copy and pasting a link that directs me to the blurb on Amazon so I can read it there.
- Offer a free copy of your book. As opposed to, well, not offering a free copy of your book.
- Thank me in advance for my time. Because it’s the decent, pleasant thing to do. Geez.
Now, I was going to include the review I wrote for Play Him Again, by Jeffrey Stone, right here in this post. Stone also penned that fabuloso review request and he’s just a pretty swell fella. But since I enjoyed his book so much, I’m going to give it its own post. A super special Saturday post. Look for it tomorrow. Because tomorrow’s Saturday. Duh.
And now I know the right way!
Yes ma’am! I think. Like I said, this is just my opinion based on my experience with a very small sample of three requests, haha.
Great post. I haven’t seen this topic addressed much, so good idea on your part to cover it.
Thanks Carrie! I’ve seen ‘how to query’ done to death, but never how to request a review. Glad to help.
Nice advice and well said. Thanks.
You’re welcome. Glad you enjoyed it!
Phew! Glad to say I was getting it right. Must admit was clueless when started. Guidelines much appreciated. Shared. 🙂 x
Phew is right! I’d hate for you to end up being vaguely referenced on someone else’s blog! Glad you enjoyed the post and thanks for stopping by! Hope you do it again some time!
Great post 🙂
Funny about the pen name thing. People address me as Robert and Chazz and several names not polite to air in public. I have to remember who knows me under what identity when I email them. So far, that’s mostly how my life is like Batman’s. (FYI: Working on finding a butler with combat paramedic experience with my blood type.) Thanks for the post. Good one and I’ll be in touch.
Yes, I have to do the same. If you ever find that butler, see if he has a friend that can roll sushi. I’m in the market, as it were.
Glad you liked the post!